Family, friends, health and good job get all the limelight this time of year but what about those oddball things you find yourself grateful for. Such as:
1. When I get to work early enough that no one is in my cube farm area. The quiet is serene.
2. When they mix my salted caramel hot chocolate just right at Starbucks. Nothing worse than weak hot chocolate.
3. Having our Thanksgiving early so I get to enjoy these days off relatively relative and drama free, just like now as I write this. Not that I don’t love my family, I do.
4. When the copier at work doesn’t jam when I have to print a big set of documents once a month.
5. When someone else empties the dishwasher.
6. When I actually sleep in. This is rare.
7. A nap in the afternoon (see #6 – I never sleep anymore).
8. Curling up on the couch with my iPad and reading endless free magazines through our public library’s online system.
9. Living in the country. The views are amazing from my own windows, there is never anyone but the dog looking back at me through them (it’s okay little buddy, I’ll let you back in) and the quiet helps us all sleep better.
10. That most of my closest girlfriends are much like me. We have a distinct dislike of stupid people, we aren’t a fan of baby/bridal showers, we aren’t exceptionally girly but yet we keep our feminine charm. We prefer wine, alcohol and books to people. Love you guys (you know who you are)!
11. For my crazy mixed up heritage. German, Irish, English and a bit of Shawnee Indian. Stubborn, passionate with a fiery temper that is tempered by my more refined blood though I still have a wild streak a mile wide. I like that about myself. I seem all quiet and shy but really I am a hella lot of fun at times.
12. For all my challenges and struggles in life. I won’t bore you by listing them but I prefer instead of feeling sorry for myself to remember it’s what made me who I am today. I found I am incredibly strong at times, the times I need to be. I am grateful that I have that inside of me.
13. For solitary moments in nature. The moment I step into the woods on a trail where I never see a soul. Some people hate being alone but I find these moments some of my favorite. My mind can wander, I can stop and take as many pictures as I want and sit and put notes in my notebook.
14. Having Mondays off. I am fortunate that I am 32-hour full time
employee. My company should realize they are too because I took a job the former woman had to work 45-50 hours and streamlined it to fit into my work schedule. I save them thousands each year by being uber efficient. Mondays are great days to be home, to go grocery shopping, to hike or bike. No one is around. No crowds.
15. That I never know what will come out of my kids’ mouths. Things I hear are “Old ladies are so my spirit animal” and “Yes, I like to touch my own butt, I have a nice butt.” Never a dull moment with them. They are my favorite girls to hang out with.
I could keep going on but I want to keep it short and sweet. I hope everyone has a wonderful holiday no matter how you celebrate. I’m grateful for everyone who reads my blog, it amazes me that my ramblings on interests people. Now to start dragging up the Christmas decorations. Onward!